“Technological innovation in textile development is used increasingly to produce specialist fabrics”

Course Detail

Textile design is a versatile discipline that involves the creation, selection, manipulation and application of a range of materials and processes in order to produce fabrics for different end uses. Textile designers are expected to work in a multi-disciplinary way to create ideas, concepts, materials and techniques for different applications; for example in fashion and clothing, there are specialised areas such as lingerie, nightwear, sportswear, accessories or innovative clothing for theatre or film production. Technological innovation in textile development is used increasingly to produce specialist fabrics, which can be protective, fire proof, waterproof, or performance enhancing.

Some textile designers create fabrics for interior applications such as upholstery, bed linens, curtains, wallpapers, carpets and rugs or work more generally as surface designers for vinyl coverings, tiles, leather, glass, packaging, greetings cards and wrapping paper. Drawing is an essential skill in the development process, from initial visual research, recording from primary sources, through to the translation of ideas into finished designs

How will I be assessed?

Towards the end of Year 12 you will select one starting point from a list of themes that the exam board specify, after three weeks of planning and preparation you will sit a 10 hour exam in which you develop your ideas into a final piece(s). This practical examination contributes 60% of your As mark; your personal investigation contributes to the remaining 40% of you As mark.

At the end of Year 13, you will be assessed on your personal investigation which will also include a personal study of no less that 1000 words. There will also be a practical examination, similar in format to Year 12 however it will be 15 hours long again contributing to 40% of your final A level grade.

Additional Entry Requirements

GCSE Art, Textiles or Product Design: C
GCSE Maths: 5
GCSE English: 5

All A-Level courses are two year courses. You will sit the AS exams at the end of Year 12 and the ALevel exams at the end of Year 13. Although the AS grade will not count towards your final A-Level grade, you will need at least a grade D at AS to be able to continue into Year 13.

Where can this course take me?

Students can progress from this qualification to: 

  • University for a design related course
  • Foundation courses
  • Apprenticeships or other training
  • Employment in a related sector for example fashion designer, interior designer, fabric designer, jewellery and accessories designer, shoe designer, buyer/seller for retailers, textiles/fashion teacher/lecturer

*You can only study either 3 Dimensional Design, or Textiles or Art and Design at A-Level. 

  • textiles-01
  • textiles-02
  • textiles-03
  • textiles-04
  • textiles-05
  • textiles-06
  • textiles-07
  • textiles-08
  • textiles-09
  • textiles-10



    King Edward VI Academy Trust Birmingham is a charitable company limited by guarantee. Registered number 10654935. Registered office: Foundation Office, Edgbaston Park Road, Birmingham, B15 2UD. Academy tel: 0121 464 4428.

    We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.