"This course is highly valued by employers and higher education providers"
This course covers the fundamentals of science, working in the science industry, scientific investigation and practical techniques, perceptions of science and application of number. You will also study mathematics, statistics, human physiology, microbiology techniques, genetics and genetic engineering, medical physics techniques, electrical circuits, chemical reactions, chemical periodicity and organic chemistry.
- The BTEC Level 3 National Extended Certificate is equivalent to 1 A-Level.
- The BTEC Level 3 National Diploma is equivalent to 2 ALevels.
- The BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma is equivalent to 3 A-Levels.
Where can this course take me?
The Applied Science BTEC is highly valued by employers and higher education providers. You can progress on to a wide range of degree programmes at university. Possible degrees include biology, zoology, nursing, pharmacy and chemistry. Alternatively you could progress directly into a career within the scientific industry as a technician.
Additional Entry Requirements
Grade C in Core Science and Grade C in Additional Science or grade 5 in Combined Science
GCSE Maths: 4
GCSE English: 4
Three additional GCSEs, in any subject, at grade C/4 or better.
How will I be assessed?
This course has both internally and externally assessed components. Internally assessed units require students to:
- write up the findings of their own research
- use case studies to explore complex or unfamiliar situations
- carry out projects for which they have choice over the direction and outcomes
- demonstrate practical and technical skills using appropriate equipment, procedures and techniques.
The requirements of the course will be met through a variety of assignments which are assessed through presentations, practical tasks and by completing coursework tasks in controlled conditions. The number of assignments that need to be completed varies depending on the number of A-Levels the course is equivalent to. Externally assessed units:
- The BTEC Level 3 National Extended Certificate has one written exam lasting 1.5 hours and an externally assessed task that lasts 4.5 hours.
- The BTEC Level 3 National Diploma has two written exams, one lasting 1.5 hours and the other 2 hours. It also has one externally assessed coursework task lasting 4.5 hours.
- The BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma has two written exams, one lasting 1.5 hours and the other 2 hours. It also has two externally assessed coursework tasks, one lasting 4.5 hours, the other 2.5 hours.
Students on the Diploma and Extended Diploma courses must complete all the work required for the BTEC Level 3 National Extended Certificate by the end of Year 12 to be able to continue with their studies in Year 13.
*We offer BTEC Level 3 National Extended Certificate, National Diploma and National Extended Diploma in Applied Science.